Having newborn twins can be an exciting and joyous time, but it can also be overwhelming. You might come to the point where you are exhausted and feel like you need a good cry. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed and out of your element. The constant feedings, diaper changes, and lack of sleep can take a toll on even the most prepared parents. Guess what? That is totally normal. Parenting doesn’t come with a manual. It’s not a one size fits all approach. So when you throw in having two babies at once, yeah, things can feel a bit overwhelming at times. Want to make the transition to parenthood of twins a little easier? Here are some tips for when you feel overwhelmed with newborn twins.
- Prioritize self-care: It’s important to take care of yourself in order to be able to take care of your two babies. We say this time and time again, but it’s so important to try and make yourself a priority. The oxygen mask analogy really relates when it comes to taking care of infants. Even if that means putting a toothbrush in the kitchen so you don’t forget the most basic things! Make sure to eat well, stay hydrated, and try to get some rest when you can. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from friends and family members so that you can get some time to focus on yourself.
- Create a schedule/routine: Establishing a routine can help both you and your babies adjust to the new normal. Routines help to give you more control over your day. This can include taking regular walks, setting feeding and sleeping routines, as well as incorporating some time for yourself. Give yourself permission to just chill and watch reality tv for a bit and then get up to accomplish chores around the house. Routines are life-saving for twin parents because they allow you to anticipate your babies’ needs and plan your day accordingly.
- Simplify your life, and get organized: With two newborns, it’s important to streamline your daily tasks as much as possible. Consider simplifying meal prep by using a meal delivery service or preparing freezer meals in advance. Lean into that friend who offers to drive your other kids to soccer so you can take a moment to pump and be present with the babies. Allow friends or family to come in and do some laundry while you nap. It’s OK to accept help to simplify your life with newborn twins without allowing the guilt to creep in.
- Accept Help: Don’t be afraid to ask for or accept help from friends, family, or a professional caregiver. Having an extra pair of hands can make a big difference in managing the demands of two newborns. If someone offers to bring you a meal or watch the babies while you take a nap, take them up on it.
- Join a support group: Connecting with other parents who are navigating life with newborn twins can be incredibly helpful. Look for local support groups or online communities to share tips and advice. Sometimes your local hospital will have groups, Facebook often has groups that meet in your local area or chapters of Moms of Multiples.
- Stay Organized: Keep all necessary supplies, such as diapers, wipes, and burp cloths, easily accessible and well-stocked. Consider using baskets and labels so that everyone who is helping out knows where things go. This can help you save time and reduce stress when caring for your babies.
Remember, it’s okay to feel overwhelmed with newborn twins. These tips can help to make the transition to twin parenthood a little easier. Taking care of newborn twins is a big job, but with some planning and support, you can do it. Just take it one day at a time and ask for help!